Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Invincible? Not so











This is sad news for me. I was looking up something on Borders, and I found this. Borders, filed for bankruptcy. They are closing about 200 stores in the States, and even though that doesn't affect me here in Malaysia, it's just so sad to think that there are two hundred less warm and cozy places to go to for all the book lovers in this world. (Warm as in the welcoming books, not the blasting cold air. Or maybe it's not so over there.) I never thought that bookstores will run out of business one day, (not that they really are) they always seem invincible to market downturn whatsoever, at least to me. And they are saying that e-books are taking over. I don't know how is it gonna be in the future, but for now, I'll never trade any of my books for an e-book.

And not that it's really related to the topic above, what has happened to this world with all those fightings in Libya and Egypt, inflation, corruption, recession... ... ? Or it's just recession?

7 comments:

  1. omg...same, i never thought of bookstore like borders will brankrup. sad to know~

    ReplyDelete
  2. what?! aww, my book.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose it doesn't affect the stores here because those listed stores to be closed are all in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  4. serious? but you know when the queen of bee 'dies', slowly the rest of bee citizens will follow its step. haha XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's said that the bankruptcy was brought on by digitalization of the books and amazon.com as well as overseas expansions. I think the first two reasons are not really applicable here since those two are not as prevalent here in Malaysia compared to US. I suppose the market here is still pretty good. Of course, that's from the point of view of a hardcore bookaholic (yours truly). As for the third, I'm glad they made the decision which others consider a mistake. Maybe the investment cost them a lil too much, but seeing how they are not closing their overseas stores, these stores must be making money isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. true.i would rather buy books compare to reading it online sometimes bcos by staring at the laptop too long will cause me headache. and you can always manually bookmark. i used to love collecting bookmarks. anyway, bookstores rule! even tho im not as hardcore as you, but i still love reading. =)

    ReplyDelete