Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Books and I

I got a mail yesterday, an e-mail. It was one of the numerous e-newsletters that I subscribed to. Why worth mentioning? Well, it brought me news, tidings from the distant land of Alagaesia. Christopher Paolini is coming out with the last book of the Eragon saga, Inheritance! God knows I've grown a few inches taller over the wait. (The neck, got it? Plus, I think I did grow taller, by centimeter though.) It's coming out in November. Yea, months to go still.

I still remember my first encounter with Eragon. It was back in high school. I was at the awkward age of 15 or 16. The shoes were white, the dress was blue, AND THE BAG WAS HEAVY. Sharp ten on bed for normal days, blazing light through the nights during exam week. (Granted, it was the light only. And yes, days were classified into exam day and non-exam day.) Life was as boring as it could dip, as crazy as it could soar. Time passed as fast as slow. Friends were as best and insane as they could be. Sleepy mornings, draggy afternoons. The sky was blue, and dreams were big: be an astronaut, own a bookstore, build a castle, write a book, etc. It was when we never complained of the cafeteria food. (At least for me.) It was when fast food was a luxury. It was when recess time meant library time for me.
I was always on hunt for books. When I saw Eragon, I'd just finished whatever there was of Harry Potter for the Nth time, craving for more like a vampire craving for blood. While browsing through the books, Saphira caught my eyes. It was love at first sight. I jumped right in, and days after, I resurfaced alive with the urgency of the Ice Age squirrel seeking his acorn, seeking the sequel. Ever since then, I have been waiting. And it has been more than five years.

So the mail actually reminded me of those books that accompanied me into adulthood(So-called). Harry Potter and Eragon are by far my favorites. The story sort of grew along me. I feel connected to it somehow. All those eager-waitings, those staying-ups whole night when I finally got the books were part of my awkward adolescence. They helped shaped it. They kept me alive. (Seriously. When SARS hit, I was thinking: Please don't let me die, at least until I finish reading Harry Potter. I was that unambitious. Or you can say 看破红尘.) There were the books that never made it to adulthood too. R.L. Stine's, Christipher Pike's, Hardy Boys, Sweep Series ( I do miss Hunter and Cal. Now that I've mentioned it, I really really miss them! =( ), etc. This post shall be my tribute to all these books, (mentioned or not), thanks for being there with me when I was as lost as I am right now. ;)

11 comments:

  1. haha.. u're funny..
    me too!! i've read HP for like.. i've lost count..
    mayb i should start on Eragon.. loved the movie..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've juz noticed.. where's ur mini-blog??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should totally start on Eragon! You can get it from me if you want!
    Do you still remember the sexy Hunter and handsome Cal? Miss them... ...
    I've deleted my miniblog. Too lazy to keep up with two blogs hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And just so you know, the movie is nothing to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I resurfaced alive with the urgency of the Ice Age squirrel seeking his acorn, seeking the sequel"? i love this! rong u r insane with that language! hahaha.
    Long live HP! and eragon? i think i'd look out for that series :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha thanks Ra! That's because whoever created that squirrel is insane with its character and animation! It's just so vivid!
    Yeah long live HP! ( And Gryffindor! ;) ) Yea go check that out! I think BookXcess has it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually din reali remember who they are d.. it's settled in my head that eragon is a great story and with good-looking actors in the movie.. haha..
    reali should rewatch.. and oso get the book frm u, since it's better than the movie..
    but not now, im way too stressed now to read even if i had free time.. am totally not sarcastic.. =.=

    juz so u know, i reali miss u guys.. haha.. reali hope old times will last forever, but..
    at least one can dream rite... haha..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cal and Hunter are from the Sweep series, you know the one about magic with different covens?
    Anytime girl! And take care too. It's all part of our lives, and before you know it, it's over! Just remember to eat and sleep. XD
    Yea I miss the good old times too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okies rong! its abt dragons ryt? izit as good as HP? or..?
    chris.. high sch in ndc was one of the best days man....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup dragons and riders. Well, as a hardcore Harry Potter fan, you know what my answer is. HP is just unparalleled. But it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahahaha unparalleled. yes yes. i shouldn't have asked the question. its apparent how ur ans will be.

    ReplyDelete