Friday, September 10, 2010

Back with the Devil

It's Hari Raya. But really, what it means to me is holiday! Got back in Malacca yesterday. As cliché as it sounds, there's no place like home. Another thing that I love about my job: I get public holidays just like everyone else, unless I'm on call.

Woke up at a quarter pass seven this morning. Guess I'm used to waking up early already. What else better to do on a gorgeous morning than a little jogging? So I got out of my bed and went to the master bedroom's bathroom to freshen up myself. (brother was occupying the bathroom that both our rooms share) Woke Ahgal up for jogging too. (she sleeps with my parents) Dad chose to sleep in rather than exercise. (he was like, 'Gal you go with Ahyong la.') Ahgal's always up for anything outdoor. (nothing too vigorous though, or rather, nothing remotely vigorous) After getting everything ready, I went downstairs with her. To my surprise, the little devil a.k.a. my nephew a.k.a. Ethan, was up and awake already. Well, I had a fun time teasing him while he watched me and Ahgal getting out of the door, with him fretting in the arms of the maid. Haha! He's another one who's in for anything outdoor. Ahgal was already barking impatiently while I looked for a pair of running shoes in the cupboard. Just as we were getting out of the front gate, sis came to the door and called out to us. She's bringing that little devil along, him with his stroller of course, since he couldn't walk yet. Thus, the morning jog turned into morning walk.

A glorious morning like I had sensed. The sky was a bit greyish, suggesting an impending rain. The air was cool with soft breeze, and fresh. The neighbourhood wasn't much awake yet, just a few stray dogs patrolling the streets, and occasionally some early risers cleaning up their front porches. Met a few middle aged women who were out with a ShiTzu. The reason I mentioned them is because they commented (among themselves) that Ahgal looked like a pig. (even though that's no news, they didn't even lower their voices) I've come to find these comments funny instead of insulting. But I wonder what effects they have on Ahgal. I suppose she's convinced that she's a human instead of a dog-pig or a pig-dog. Ended our walk when we heard the grumbling thunder. Mom and bro were up by the time we got back. Chatted for a while at the dining table, then decided that we should go out for breakfast. Dad was still asleep. By untold rules, the job of waking dad up falls on the youngest, so I went upstairs with Ahgal. And that pig, instead of doing her job, went straight to her bed. Anyway, in the end everyone's awake and we had a nice breakfast together.

Now I'm back in my room, listening to The Beatles. Yeah, you're reading right. Oldies had never been my cup of tea, but I guess I got influenced by Rosanne and Rakhee. The songs remind me of that afternoon we shared in Old Town coffee shop. Sweet memories they bring.
I was reading a book after getting back from breakfast, munching on home made cookies. Then guilt crept over me, for I've abandoned my blog for quite a while again. So putting my book aside, I turned to my laptop. Nice to be alone in the room with my blanket over me. I guess it stopped drizzling already. Brought quite a few books back from Sunway. I'm determined to make this weekend a book marathon. Finished my Life of Pi. A great book it is. Seriously. Guess award-winning books aren't bad after all. And it's not just any award, it's Man Booker Prize. I've always had this habit of steering myself, subconsciously or consciously, clear of anything (be it film or book) award-winning. They seem boring to me. I don't know what bad experience that I had to make me feel this way, but probably it's really simply because they are? Anyway, million thanks to Rosanne who got me the book. I might have just missed such a great book forever. Even though I might not agree with the writer on some of the issues regarding Zoo, Life of Pi is simply captivating with the wildest imagination at work.

Time to get back to the book. =)

Currently reading: The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment