Saturday, September 11, 2010

One of Those

Steamboat dinner with family. Felt like it's the eve of Chinese New Year, except that Cheng wasn't here. Dinners nowadays are even rowdier with the addition of a little devil, but in a good way. Ah, the bliss of life.

Checked my mailbox just now. I subscribe to newsletters from Time.com, and one of today's top stories was 'Nine Years After 9/11, is Al-Qaeda's Threat overrated?' Wasn't particularly interested in the article, but it struck me that nine years had gone by since the disaster. I still remember a year after the disaster, my reaction had been almost the same: 'It's been a year already?' Things seem to be just yesterday. And by the 11th of September next year, it would have been a decade. How many decades do I have to live? Time flies, and while living my monotonous everyday life, it never occurred to me so, thus time spent unwisely. It's only moments like this that it dawn on me that life is short. I was so focused on getting the daily chores done, the to do's and all the other distractions, that days and weeks and years have gone by, as if in a blink of an eye. In the end, are these all that I have to define my life? Do I need one? Definition, or the meaning of life? I do not seek to be remembered long after I'm gone, but to be in peace and content, when I shall take my last breath. Or, to be able to proudly share what I've achieved when I can no longer run the way I do now, when wisdom grows and wrinkles creep.

Finished reading The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. A truly touching story. If there's a guy like Travis Parker, I wouldn't think twice of marriage. (I'm just saying) And just to share something that I find interesting, Kinokuniya categorizes Nicholas Sparks' books under general fiction. There were a few reasons why I bought the book. 1. It was on sale (BookXcess). 2. It's hard cover. 3. The cover is nice. 4. It's Nicholas Sparks. 5. I'd got money in my wallet. 6. The synopsis didn't seem like the typical Nicholas-Sparks-sad-ending. 7. The bookaholic-me on the loose. Wow, I didn't realise that there were actually that many reasons, but I'm glad. Never really thought that I would fall for his books one day. They have been around for like forever, but the sad endings never appealed to me, and still don't. But I guess I can handle it. The Choice, though, is a happy ending story.

'Even if I spend the rest of my life visiting her in the nursing home, it's still a better life than one I could spend with anyone else. I love her too much to let her go.' -- Travis Parker

It's Elvis Presley today.

Currently Reading: The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan

7 comments:

  1. Hahahaha because its nicholas sparks? hahaha funny. i totally get u though. and the part u said the cover is nice? i'd fall for that too. talking abt never judge a book by its cover. hahaha
    when u say its elvis presley today, did u mean u were listening to his songs while blogging this? wow never knew u listen to his songs.
    *its now or never.. come hold me tight..*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I totally judge a book by its cover!
    Yup, I was listening to his songs when I was writing this blog. Remember our last meet up at the Old Town Coffee Shop and they were playing those oldies? Listening to them again reminds me of the sweet time we spent together. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha.
    yes we had such a loving reunion that day lehh. its such a good thing catching up with you gals. but now and then reminiscing the times in ndc gives me lots of good memories. one of the best stages in my life man. good times past by so fast. why?! *nostalgic mood*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally get you girl. Time shoots by and before you know it, Rosanne might be walking towards us with a baby girl toddling along!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahahahahaha. and a good looking guy holding her hand with another baby boy in his arms.

    ReplyDelete