Sunday, September 19, 2010

I See You

I just had easily the most awesome lunch that I've made myself lately. It's just sandwich actually, and the highlight was lots and lots of vege. =) Wholegrain bread+ Cameron lettuce+ tomato+ bell pepper+ black olives+ sweet corns+ baked beans+ cherry honey tomato+ carrot+ apple. Dressing was splash of apple cider vinegar+ drops of hot pepper sauce+ chili sauce. And some herb flakes and black pepper and margarine spread. Totally vegan and heavenly. If only I could get a big fat onion, it would be perfect. The sweet corns, baked beans, cherry tomato, carrot and apple were just side dishes of course. Couldn't fit them all in between two thin slices of bread. Wanted to make carrot sticks initially, ended up crunching the carrot just as it was. Well, to tell the truth, it is a bit of cheating to say that it's the best lunch that I've made myself lately because I haven't been preparing lunch for myself for quite a while (settled it in the cafeteria at hospital), so there wasn't any comparison to begin with, thus 'easily'. Still, I would say that it's the healthiest thus far.

Thought of writing a post every time after jogging initially, but the last related post was quite some time ago. And now I've given up totally. Guess it's my 'hangat-hangat tahi anak ayam'. Why the 'anak'? Well, in my humble opinion, the chick is much smaller, so I reckon that the stool will be smaller in size too, thus contains lesser heat and requires shorter time for the heat to radiate off it. See, it takes just this much time for my determination to flicker and then, snuffed. As much as the chick's droppings. One thing to be glad is that I still go for regular jogging. =)

Finished 'The Longest Trip Home' earlier today. It's officially one of my favourite books now. John Grogan is simply gifted at telling stories. Not that it's a story, as in fiction. It's a memoir. And I admire his courage to share with the world his embarrassing moments and dirty little secrets. I would not have the guts to do that. Plus, there isn't much to tell of my life. I've been a good kid throughout my life, so good that when I look back, it's simply boring and insignificant by comparison. Not complaining though, just wish that I'd had the courage to do things I'd only contemplated. It's a story unfolding his life from childhood to adulthood, in which his parents play a major part in. Towards the end, like his first book, Marley and Me, it got me crying. He really put his heart and soul into it. There's this particular paragraph among others shortly after his father's death that triggered my lacrimal glands:

"Tim and I had both lived independently for years, but always in the back of our minds we had known our father was there if we needed him. For a loan or career advice or handyman tips or life guidance or a place to move back to if all else failed. No longer. The paternal safety net was officially and permanently cut away. It was our turn now."

I remember few years back (when I was still in high school or freshly out I guess) when mom was hospitalized, dad took me out for dinner before we went to visit mom. It was a food court, brightly lit, noisy and crowded with people. We found a place and we sat down. Dad asked me what I would like to have before walking off to order for the both of us. He was having join pains due to high uric acid level. I remember looking at his slight limping figure, tears threatened to fall, but not quite, realising that dad was getting old, and it would come a day, irrevocably, when he can't be there for me any more. Such realisation reinforced itself again. I was out with my dog for a morning walk, few years back too. We got chased by a stray dog in the neighbourhood. I was pretty sure that the dog was not ill-intentioned, but just to be on the safe side (plus it was scary), I scooped up Ahgal and ran all the way home. Luckily where we were wasn't that far from our house, and dad was just out there. I yelled for dad, and he came to our rescue.
I was extremely grateful that dad was there to protect me, but at the same time it struck me that dad can't be my shelter forever.

I see you. It's a line from a movie.

Currently reading: Haven't decided yet

No comments:

Post a Comment